Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to Mexico, but they do require a "multiple migratory form" (issued to tourists, transmigrants, visitors, business-people, and advisors), known as a tourist card. This may be obtained at any Mexican Consulate, during direct flights to Mexico, or at the Mexican port of entry by presenting any of the following as proof of citizenship:

  • Valid passport (the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade highly recommends that Canadians travel with a passport),


  • Proof of citizenship and photo ID.
    Proof of citizenship includes original birth certificate, citizenship card (naturalization certificate) or a notarized affidavit of citizenship (a statement under oath before a notary public, commissioner of oaths or lawyer identifying oneself with another document, stating date and place of birth, and reason for not having an updated passport or original birth certificate).

    Acceptable photo ID includes driver's license or health card with photo.

    People born in Quebec must present a birth certificate issued after January 1, 1994, by Le Directeur de l'etat civil in the Province of Quebec. Please note that according to a provincial measure announced on October 24, 2001, baptismal and birth certificates issued by Quebec religious, municipal or judicial authorities prior to 1994, are not considered proof of citizenship.



A criminal record check (police clearance) is not required. However, Mexican migratory law states that immigration officers may deny entry to anyone with a criminal record.

Canadian citizens who have been convicted of a crime and have served a prision sentence, must request an entry permit through our Consular Offices in Canada.
Entry permit applications will be processed in thirty (30) days. Foreigners may not enter Mexico while under parole or on probation.


Please note: immigration officers at the port of entry may request that the tourist show a return ticket and proof of economic solvency (credit card, traveller's cheques, etc) to cover expenses in Mexico.

Please be aware that foreigners visiting Mexico must pay a tax fee. When travelling by plane, the US$20.00 fee is included in the airplane ticket. When travelling by car, this tax will be charged at the port of entry.


The maximum period for which Canadian citizens may stay in Mexico is six months; the immigration officer at the port of entry will determine the exact authorized period for each tourist, up to a maximum of six months.

Extensions must be requested at the National Institute of Immigration of the Ministry of the Interior or its local offices within the Republic by paying the application fee of the equivalent of US$20.00.


When travelling with a birth certificate and a photo ID that show different last names (maiden name and married name), the marriage certificate may be used to provide legal support for the change of name.


Minors (any person under 18 years of age) must travel as any other Canadian citizen, with a passport or proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate) plus photo ID (school ID card will suffice). In cases where photo ID is not available, we recommend obtaining an affidavit of identity with the picture of the child, mentioning the child's name, place and date of birth, and signed before a lawyer or notary public.


When travelling alone or with only one parent, minors no longer need to present a parental consent form by both parents or by the parent that is not travelling.

However, in the case of shared custody, it is recomended that the parent travelling with the child obtain authorization from the other parent, although no proof will be required for travelling. .


Canadian Passport Office

Civil Registrar Ontario

Le Directeur de l'état civil

Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade

Canadian Embassy in Mexico