The application to obtain a permit must be submitted by the Canadian Embassy in Mexico to the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores). This application must be presented through a diplomatic note six months in advance for maritime research and three months in advance for earth and air research.
The application must include the following information regarding the applicant and the research project:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Institution or Corporation where she/he works
- 2 passport-size photos
- Justification/grounds for conducting the research
- Name of the head and auxiliary scientists; please indicate their areas of specialization and include their resumes
- Duration (indicate the start and finish dates for the research).
- Indicate if any Mexicans will participate. If so, include their names and planned activities
- Indicate the benefits for Mexico or the scientific community
- Boats, vehicles and equipment
- Geographical areas where the research will be conducted (specify the names and geographical coordinates)
- Attach any supporting letters issued by Mexican institutions
- Indicate the source of financial support for the project
- Indicate if any collection activity will be developed and the intended destination of the collected material
- Indicate if the project would be carried out within the framework of any treaty or agreement
The process to submit the permit application is the following:
The Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs receives the application and forwards it to the pertinent bodies and agencies, which then provide feedback or issue the proper authorization.
The Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs informs the Canadian Embassy of its decision.
For further information please call the Embassy of Mexico in Canada at ext. 234 or 236, the Canadian Embassy in Mexico at 01-800-706-29-00 or the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at .